A pub that suffered major damage from a kitchen fire just days before it was due to be offloaded by a brewery chain is close to re-opening.
An industrial fryer blaze was to blame for shutting the Kings Head in Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, back in September and it has taken until now for the site’s future to be resolved.
At the time of the incident, Punch Taverns was about to sell the pub to Richard King, but the transaction ended up being cancelled.
However, the chain recently went back to Mr King and lowered the original asking price.
He told the Clacton Gazette that refurbishments are currently taking place but he is keen for it to be operational as soon as possible.
“It’s a fascinating building,” he said. “I’m looking forward to getting it running.”
At the time of the blaze, Essex Fire & Rescue Service officer Lee Lucas said that although the cause was accidental, there were lessons to be learned from it.
“It appears the owners of the pub were preparing for evening service. They cleaned out the industrial chip pan, refilled it and then went up to watch the golf, propping open a fire door.
“All these things added up — the distraction, leaving cooking unattended and finally the importance of closed doors to prevent fire spread.”