Mystery surrounds pub chain ‘kitchen’ blaze

The exact cause of a fire that is said to have started in the kitchen of one of Cambridgeshire’s most recognisable pubs won’t be known for some weeks due to the level of damage caused to the building.

A blaze ripped through the Wetherspoon Tivoli pub in the early hours of Saturday morning, with reports suggesting it started in a kitchen, although nobody was working in the property at the time.

However, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the site, which used to a house a 1920s cinema, was still structurally unsafe to enter and therefore it couldn’t yet say how it started.

Station commander, Jamie Johnson, who was one of the incident commanders, said: “Crews worked exceptionally hard all day at what was a difficult and challenging incident. Although the building has been destroyed, no one was injured and we were able to save the adjoining pub from fire and water damage.”

A fire investigation has commenced but will be limited until officers can get into the building to where the fire started. Before this can happen, machinery needs to be brought in to dismantle the roof which is unsafe.

As many as 50 fire-fighters were involved in tackling the flames using water pumped from the River Cam, which runs behind the pub.




Related posts