Officials ‘horrified’ by kitchen sinner slapped with foodservice ban

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 09: A Food Standards Agency rating certificate is pictured in the window of a restaurant on February 9, 2015 in London, England. Claims have been made that some restaurants are ignoring food hygiene standards ratings. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)

The owner of a Newport takeaway who served up food from filthy kitchens where meat was kept in mouldy fridges and freezers has been banned from running such a business for two years.

Owner of the Shahbaz Tikka in Commercial Road, Pill, Aamir Hassan was arrested and brought to court after failing to attend  previous hearings.

After hearing about the disgusting state of the premises and Mr Hassan’s failure to maintain basic standards of cleanliness magistrates made the rare decision to impose a Prohibition Order under Regulation 7 of the Food Hygiene (Wales) Regulations 2006 which prevents Mr Hassan from managing a food business for two years.

This sanction is rarely used and demonstrates the court’s significant concern with the unacceptable conditions found.

As well as the ban Mr Hassan was also fined a total of £1,400 after pleading guilty to seven food hygiene offences when he appeared at Newport Magistrates Court earlier this week, following an investigation by Newport City Council environmental health officers.

The investigation was prompted following a complaint by a member of the public in June last year. CachedImage.axd

When officers visited the premises they found dirty walls and floors with the cooking area and food preparation areas having a significant accumulation of food debris, charcoal ash and grease across all surfaces.

Equipment which came into contact with food, such as knives and chopping boards, were dirty and covered in coagulated grease, old food debris and dirt.

Fridges and freezers used for high risk food were also dirty and covered in mould.

Mr Hassan had also failed to provide sanitiser, disinfectant or other suitable cleaning chemicals at the premises and cleaning equipment such as clothes, brushes and mops were also all found to be dirty.

Overall the premises were substantially below the basic requirements of the food hygiene law.

As well as the fine and two year ban Mr Hassan was also ordered to pay Newport City Council’s costs of £1,450 and a £30 victim surcharge.

The business has now closed.

Councillor Bob Poole, Cabinet Member for Regulatory Functions said he was horrified by Mr Hassan’s flagrant breaching of hygiene rules and praised environmental health officers for their robust investigation which saw the food premises owner brought to court.

“This is a very serious breach of food hygiene regulations and it is right that magistrates who considered the case to be so disturbing, that they made the rare decision to impose the ban on Mr Hassan.

“We hope this case sends out a message to everyone across the city involved in running premises serving food to the public that we will continue to carry out investigations where people are worried such businesses are failing in their duty of care,” said Cllr Poole.

Authors

HAVE YOUR SAY...

*

Related posts

Top