Aldershot restaurant owner vows no repeat of kitchen pest shutdown

Momo Station, Aldershot, pest infestation

A restaurant in Aldershot is among two food businesses in Aldershot that were cautioned this week after pest infestations forced their closure.

Momo Station closed voluntarily for immediate improvement work after an inspection by Rushmoor Borough Council Environmental Health Officers on 3 July found a storage building at the back of the premises was infested with rats.

They also discovered low-level cockroach activity in the kitchen, which was in a dirty condition. These issues posed a risk to food safety.

Story continues below

Following the improvement work, the business was allowed to re-open within a week.

Environmental Health Officer Julie Burke, the investigating officer, said: “Where standards of food hygiene are found to be below acceptable levels, we will take immediate and appropriate action to make sure food is safe and customers are not put at risk.

“Owners of food businesses have a duty to carry out basic checks for pests and to take effective action where they find problems. They should not rely on our visits to discover they have an infestation or that an area needs to be cleaned.”

Amit Gurung, director of the restaurant, accepted the caution for four food safety offences and said: “I acknowledge the problem and have fixed the problem straight away. Since the incident, we are working very closely with the pest control company and Environmental Health. Hygiene is the number one priority for my business. I can assure you that this will not happen again in the future.”

Rushmoor Borough Council released this image of dirty equipment at Momo Station in Aldershot as well as evidence of rodent droppings (main picture).

In a similar inspection, meanwhile, the owners of Buddha Convenience Store in Aldershot were also ordered to close to carry out improvements after the discovery of a rodent infestation in their shop. Following improvements to the pest proofing of the premises, the store was able to re-open a few days later.

Councillor Ken Muschamp, Rushmoor Borough Council’s cabinet member for business, safety and regulation, said: “These cases show that the council is committed to protecting the public and that it is unacceptable for food businesses to disregard their duty to protect the safety of food for their customers.  I fully support our officers who are doing a great job as they continue to carry out extensive investigations to establish the sources of infestations such as these.”

Tags : Complianceenvironmental health officersfood hygienefood safetykitchensRestaurant
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response