close

ASK Italian branch re-tests electrical equipment after faulty kitchen appliance sparks fire

Ask Italian

ASK Italian’s Exeter branch has re-tested all of the electrical equipment in its kitchen after a fire involving a mobile catering unit and some chopping boards earlier this week.

The restaurant is aiming to re-open today after being closed since Tuesday morning when the incident occurred.

Three fire engines were sent to deal with the fire, which was extinguished quickly.

Story continues below
Advertisement

“On arrival crews confirmed there was smoke issuing from the kitchen area and got to work investigating further wearing breathing apparatus,” said a spokesperson for Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service.

“There was a fire in the ground floor kitchen involving mobile food units and wooden chopping boards. There was 50% fire damage to the mobile unit, 100% of the kitchen damaged by smoke and 50% of the restaurant damaged by smoke.”

The fire service said the fire was “accidental”.

ASK general manager, Mario Langello told Devon Live that the appliance responsible for the blaze had been PAT tested as safe within the last 12 months.

The restaurant has spent the last two days repairing the damage and ensuring that all kitchen appliances are safe.

“We are committed to the safety of our team members and customers and ensure that all electrical appliances are tested in accordance with best practice and industry regulations,” he explained.

“All of our electrical equipment in the restaurant has been re-tested and confirmed safe, and we are just completing some cleaning and decorating ready to reopen the doors to our customers.”

It is the second time this month that officers from Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service have been called out to deal with a fire at a casual dining restaurant in Exeter.

They previously attended a suspected residential fire above a branch of Las Iguanas only to discover that the blaze was actually taking place in the restaurant’s kitchen.

The transformer: How ASK Italian’s CEO has put the power back into its kitchens

Tags : Ask Italianfirekitchen fire
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response