Birmingham steak house cops £50k fine over wooden serving boards

A restaurant that kept using wooden plates to serve food on has been fined £50,000 by Birmingham Magistrates court after a case brought by the city council.

Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House, in Acocks Green, was first visited by council inspectors in October 2016 after an alleged food poisoning outbreak affecting a party of 14.

A number of issues of concern were found, including a high level reliance being placed on the use of disposable gloves, rather than the washing of hands.

The cleaning of the premises was poor and sanitising chemicals were not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions.

Additionally, the council said that wooden plates, “which were incapable of being cleaned”, were being used to serve the food.


Officers served improvement notices requiring a remedy to the issues – and on a return visit in December 2016 it was found that whilst food handling had improved, the wooden plates were still being used. They claim the wooden plates could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.

At Birmingham Magistrates’ Court last week the company entered a guilty plea – and a fine of £50,000 was imposed along with £670 costs and £120 victim surcharge.

Mark Croxford, head of environmental health, said: “It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.

“The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore. I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.”

Wooden boards are commonly used for serving by restaurant operators. Experts note that as long as they are hygienically cleaned then they are completely safe to serve food on, just like any other dish.


One Comment;

  1. Malcolm said:

    I just don’t get wooden or slate for serving food items on. Yes, it does look great and chic but food should be served on proper plates that can be sanitised well though a dishwasher. I am sure the Dishwasher sellers and EHO’s would agree with me.



Related posts