close

Inquest resumes into tragic Byron allergy death

Byron Burger

An inquest will continue this week into the death of an 18-year-old-boy who died from an allergic reaction after eating at high street burger chain Byron.

Owen Carey, who was allergic to wheat and dairy products, died hours after eating a grilled chicken burger at a branch of Byron in North Greenwich.

He had also eaten at McDonald’s on the same day but the fast food chain said it was no longer ‘an interested party’ in the case.

Story continues below
Advertisement

Mr Carey’s family want to establish whether the chicken contained buttermilk, which was not identified on the menu.

His mother Moira told The Times: “We know that we will never be truly happy again as one so very loved has been taken from us.”

The coroner has requested statements from both the food outlets on their allergen protocols.

The Daily Mail reported that Simon Livingstone, representing Byron, said the head chef on duty has no recollection of the events of that day.

“He has no recollection of the incident but he will nevertheless provide a statement to the allergen protocols,” he said.

Byron chief Simon Wilkinson commented: “Byron would like to extend our deepest condolences to Owen’s family. We always take food allergies extremely seriously and have a comprehensive set of measures in place.”

The inquest continues at Southwark Crown Court.

Tags : Byron Hamburger
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response