Kitchen ban and suspended jail sentence for pub hygiene pair

Dirty kitchen

The former joint owners of two pubs in Derbyshire have received suspended jail sentences for 16 offences relating to poor hygiene standards.

Philip Mee and Nicholas Rodgers, who ran the Hurt Arms at Ambergate, and the Peacock Hotel at Oakerthorpe, pleaded guilty to the food safety offences at Derby Magistrates Court, and their case was taken to the Crown Court for sentencing.

Following alleged food poisoning complaints, Amber Valley Borough Council officers visited both premises in 2015 and 2016 where they found the businesses to be operating in unhygienic conditions.

Story continues below

Issues included long-standing dirt and grime in the kitchen area, no soap available at the wash hand basin in the kitchen with no sanitising solution available for cleaning and no food safety management system.

Additionally, no food temperature monitoring records were available while inspectors highlighted a risk of cross-contamination between raw and ready-to-eat foods.

Both premises closed voluntarily to undertake thorough cleaning.

Phillip Mee was sentenced to eight months custody, suspended for 12 months and ordered to undertake 100 hours of unpaid work.

Nicholas Rodgers was also sentenced to eight months custody, suspended for 12 months.

Both Mee and Rodgers were given Hygiene Prohibition Orders which prevent them being involved in the management of food businesses until August 2020.

Full costs in the case were awarded of £4,102.50 to be split between them.

Commenting on the case, Amber Valley Borough Council’s portfolio holder for housing and public health, Cllr David Taylor, said: “Incidents like these, where customers’ health is put at risk, are treated very seriously by the council. We will always pursue, and where appropriate, prosecute, establishments whose food hygiene falls short of the required safe standards. We hope this case serves as a reminder to everyone involved in the food industry in the Borough as to their hygiene responsibilities.”

Amber Valley Borough Council said it wished to make it clear that both premises are now operated by new owners.

IMAGE: File picture.

Tags : Amber Valley Borough Councilfoodfood hygienekitchensPubs
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response