Kitchen grill to heat water for first Nando’s ‘next-gen eco concept’

Nando’s Australia

A new grill system heating the majority of water is amongst a host of high-tech features part of the first Nando’s Next Generation restaurant concept, which opened last week in Cambridge.

The restaurant chain’s first ever 100% eco-friendly site (not pictured) has employed a number of new design features front- and back-of-house to improve sustainability.

Further to the grill system, a heat recovery system in the extractor ducts is designed to help save on energy needed to heat the air.

Story continues below

97 solar panels on the roof will provide around 10% of the restaurant’s energy, while UK hydropower and anaerobic digestion will generate electricity, and gas will be provided by UK Anaerobic Digestion – the remaining 90%.

Front-of-house, lamp shades made from mushrooms will light the eating areas, and there will be an entire wall of real plants, and natural insulation made from Cumbrian sheep’s wool.

A newly designed roof is insulated to keep the restaurant warm on the inside, while also harvesting rainwater to keep plants on the outside hydrated.

The heating is also set up to turn off when the air-con is on, and will switch off entirely when it’s hotter than 15°C.

It is hoped that the new features will drive down costs in addition to improving sustainability for the restaurant, which runs off 100% renewable energy.

“Restaurants in the UK are responsible for larger carbon emissions than Costa Rica,” explained Andrew Stephen, chief executive of the Sustainable Restaurant Association.

“Nando’s Next Generation is a fantastic, positive example of what restaurants can do to reduce their footprint, providing a destination for people to visit, where they can eat and enjoy a meal that isn’t costing the earth.”

Meanwhile, Richie Collie, project manager of new restaurants at Nando’s, said: “This is a really exciting opening for us and will help form our restaurants of the future.

Tags : CambridgeNando'ssustainabilitySustainable Restaurant Associationtechnology
Joe Peskett

The author Joe Peskett

Leave a Response