Mechline guides operators on taming food waste

Brochure cover

Legislative, business and financial pressures mean food waste management is an issue that operators can no longer turn a blind eye to. One leading manufacturer has come up with an initiative to help ease the burden. FEJ reports.

Reducing food waste to landfill and increasing profit is high on the agenda of most commercial kitchen operations, but establishing how best to achieve those goals is another challenge altogether.

Fortunately help is at hand. In line with the European Waste Framework Directive’s Waste Hierarchy requirements, legislation to which all businesses must adhere, Mechline has made it top priority to provide the tools for foodservice operations to implement a sustainable
food waste reduction policy.

Story continues below

The company understands the challenges of operating an efficient kitchen and delivering high quality meals in a short space of time, noting that taking measures to reduce food waste are not always a priority.

Recent research undertaken by WRAP determined that the cost of end-of-life food waste to the UK hospitality industry is £2.5 billion, with around 920,000 tonnes of food thrown away every year. 75% of this figure could have been eaten.

“With this in mind, the Mechline Food Waste Reduction Programme was launched and, quite simply, highlights how to manage end-of-life food waste in a circular way beginning with prevention, reduction and reuse followed where necessary with redistribution, recycle and reprocess,” says Ian Cresswell, business development director at Mechline.

The Mechline Programme has been expressly developed to deliver all the tools an operator needs to make a cohesive food waste strategy work.

Part of the package is an informative 18-page brochure that outlines the steps to be taken, including how to create a food waste baseline and conduct a review of the waste a business produces, as well as links to case studies of businesses that have already successfully embedded their own food waste policies.

A series of posters communicating key end-of-life food messages to encourage kitchen staff to get involved has also been created by Mechline.

Whichever way operators view it, there are numerous benefits to taking preventative action in reducing end-of-life food waste including cost savings by reducing food disposal; reducing food purchases by using ingredients more effectively; minimising the cost of wasted ingredients; and reducing the overall cost of end-of-life food by cutting energy, labour and other associated costs.

While 75% of food waste is avoidable, the remaining 25% unavoidable food waste will incur costs. Disposing of end-of-life food to landfill is the most costly option and should be avoided, according to Mechline. It points out that its Waste²O machine is an economical and environmental on-site solution for dealing with unavoidable food waste and avoiding costly waste management fees.

The consequence of doing nothing about food waste is proven to be costly, says Cresswell. “With the Mechline Food Waste Reduction Programme, foodservice operators are given a useful, practical tool with which to easily implement an environmental and cost-saving schedule that effectively reduces avoidable and unavoidable food waste.”

The Food Waste Reduction Programme packs are available free of charge to all enquirers, simply by visiting

In numbers

Annual cost of avoidable food waste to restaurants
(Based on serving 1,000 covers per week)

Annual cost of avoidable food waste to hotels
(Based on serving 1,000 covers per week)

Tags : catering equipmentfood wastemanufacturersMechline
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response