Mechline warns of ‘silent hazards’ lurking in the kitchen

Gas hob burner

Mechline Developments has pledged its support to Gas Safety Week in a bid to remind the foodservice industry of their responsibility to keep staff and customers safe from the dangers posed by gas appliances.

The initiative, which runs until the end of the week, provides a platform for multiple organisations across the UK to work together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Foodservice operators have a duty to make sure that their gas appliances are safety checked every year and serviced regularly.

Story continues below

They must also ensure that the person employed to do the work is Gas Safe Registered and therefore not working illegally.

The commercial kitchen environment can be rife with hazards, ranging from sharp knives to high heat, but the most hazardous of them all lurks silently, according to Mechline. Badly fitted gas hoses, for instance, can have deadly consequences.

Kristian Roberts, marketing manager at Mechline, said the company would be promoting its Dormont gas hoses, which are the only kite marked hoses in the UK.

“Dormont are widely regarded as the safest, strongest and most trusted gas hoses in the world,” he said. “The fittings are better machined to ensure smoother operation and ease of use, plus far greater durability, reliability and safety: facts that are backed up by the evidence of the safe installation of more than 115m Dormont gas connectors over 50 years.”

Gas Safety Week officials say there are numerous things that operators should look out for when it comes to managing gas appliances.

Firstly, check an engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card and make sure they are qualified for the work that needs doing.

Secondly, check for warning signs that appliances aren’t working correctly, for example lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

Thirdly, bear in mind the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning that indicate a potential fault: headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Tags : gas appliancesgas safetyGas Safety WeekkitchensMechline
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response