Pizza Hut investigates food blunder that led to medical emergency

Pizza Hut

Pizza Hut has carried out an investigation to find out how a wrong pizza was served up to a toddler with a life-threatening dairy allergy, causing him to be hospitalised for two days.

Two-year-old Zayaan Hussain went into anaphylactic shock after eating a child’s margherita pizza at the chain’s Church Street branch in Blackpool.

His father Sayid, 33, said he informed staff at the restaurant about his son’s allergy and asked them four times about possible cross-contamination, but was given assurances that the ‘vegan’ pizza given to his son was completely safe.

Story continues below

However, just minutes after eating his meal, the toddler began vomiting and struggling to breathe. Paramedics were called to the scene and the youngster was taken to hospital, where he spent the next two days.

Mr Hussain told the Blackpool Gazette: “Even when we received the pizza, I wouldn’t let him eat it before re-confirming that it was definitely dairy-free. They said it was, so he ate the pizza. Ten minutes went by and he just started shutting down. He wasn’t responding to me or my wife. Something wasn’t right.”

Pizza Hut told the paper that the toddler was given the wrong dish due to “human error”.

A spokesperson for the chain said: “We are in contact with the family involved and are very sorry for what happened. We realise it was an unacceptable situation and have already completed an internal investigation with the Hut, which found that the wrong pizza was given to the family as a result of human error. We will share the full investigation findings with the Hussain family and are taking appropriate action at this restaurant to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Mr Hussain said that he has spoken with Pizza Hut bosses about the incident, and that he has informed Environmental Health.

He said: “The last thing I want is for someone else to be in that sort of situation. We managed to save our son, but other people might not be so lucky.”

Tags : allergyPizza Hut
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response