TGI Friday’s slapped with £60k fine after chef is scorched by hot oil

Filing cabinet

TGI Friday’s has been fined £60,000 after an incident in a kitchen which left a chef burnt with hot oil.

A chef at the Trafford Centre branch of the brand had been moving a pan of hot oil with another member of staff when they lost their grip. The chef was then burnt by the oil on the shin and foot.

TGIs was also criticised in court for failing to ensure the safety of employees due to the development of bad practice among kitchen staff. In particular, kitchen staff had been cleaning deep fat fryers at night before waiting for the oil to cool, the court heard.

Story continues below

The court heard that TGIs was prosecuted on behalf of Trafford Council for failing to meet health and safety standards, the Messenger reported. The main holding company, Thursday’s (UK) was fined and told to pay £16,000 in costs in relation to the case, which dates back to 2014.

“Clearly burns from hot oil can be very serious and, although this was a nasty accident, the chef’s injuries could have been significantly worse,” said Trafford Council’s executive member for housing and strategic planning David Hopps, speaking to the Messenger.

He added: “This prosecution sends out a strong message to other local businesses to make sure they put safe systems in place which allows their staff to do their jobs safely.”

“This case demonstrates the importance of companies making sure they have robust procedures in place that meet the necessary health and safety requirements.

Tags : chefdeep fat fryerhealth and safetykitchenkitchen safetyoilTGI FridayTGI FridaysTrafford Centre
Joe Peskett

The author Joe Peskett

Leave a Response