A three-year-old boy has tragically died after falling into a grease trap outside of a fast food restaurant.
The incident, which took place in Rochester, New York, was confirmed by local police, who were called to a branch of Tim Horton’s to help locate a missing child on Monday morning.
A witness reportedly discovered the boy in the grease trap minutes after emergency services were alerted, but efforts to revive him were and he was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital.
Police chiefs described it a “horrible, unimaginable unspeakable tragedy”.
News channel CNN reported last night that no charges would be filed in relation to the death.
It said child’s mother was an employee at the restaurant and had brought her son to work because she could not find child care that day.
Investigators think the boy fell through a plastic lid that gave way and into the grease trap embedded in the ground around two metres away from the restaurant.
It is said to be about three quarters of a metre in diameter covered with a green plastic lid that helped it blend into the surrounding grass, he said.
“The lid was on there, it looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap,” said Rochester Police Department investigator Francis Camp. “We have a horrifying episode here that happened. We’re asked all the time, ‘What’s the worst thing you encounter as a police officer?’ and this is number one.”
Tim Hortons provided CNN with the following statement: “What occurred today was a tragedy and on behalf of the Tim Hortons family, we offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young boy who passed away. Tim Hortons is fully cooperating with authorities. As there is an ongoing police investigation, we have no further comment at this time.”
Image: Stock picture